Friday, November 20, 2009

Embouteiller Aix

To Bottle Aix...
and take her home with me! I can't think of what more I'd want these days. I don't know if it was through a slow transition that I came to love it here, or if it was just a sudden click that made everything fit just right for me. I was standing in the bathroom the other afternoon, looking out the window at the warm setting sun and the purple clouds falling behind St. Victoire off in the distance. There was a perfect cool wind rustling and swirling the autumn leaves across the cobbelstone roads below, the fountain outside our apartment was bubbling cheerily and a man was leaning against the cathedral playing cliche love songs on his accordion to no one but himself. I simply stopped and said to myself- I love it here. Perhaps that was the moment when everything clicked.

With three weeks left here I'm trying to take everything in now. The other day I was walking back from practicing organ and then bright welcoming sun beamed down, filling my body and spirit with warmness. I closed my eyes and breathed in. And just now, I was again standing in my bathroom just looking out. I think its my favorite view from the house. Again, bright blue skies were all that was to be found, with St. Victoire (mountain) still watching me from afar. Suddenly a crisp gust of wind came through and at the same time a burst of birds flew in all directions, all eventually delicately landing on the steeple of the cathedral. Gosh how I wanted to capture that and show it to every one at home!!

Alright, I'll stop being so romantic now. Life is good, and tough, and BUSY! This next week is quite intimidating for me: monday- my friend, John, from Ghana arrives; tuesday- last rehearsal with the orchestra before the concert; wednesday- my dad arrives and I have my organ performance; thursday- I cook and host a huge thanksgiving feast! friday- friend John leaves and I conduct the orchestra concert that night; saturday- dad and I leave early for paris and meet up with the rest of the vandy students who will be there already; sunday- dad leaves, I return to Aix, and sleep. haha

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about my organ performance, but I'm excited all the same. After I post this blog I'm going to live in with the organ for the day.

I did want to post a few photos- Last weekend practically the whole group of students went and hiked all around St. Victoire. It was a gorgeous day and we got to have a picnic overlooking such a gorgeous view!



My dear friend, Chelsea and me:





This is of course the same St. Victoire that Paul Cezanne painted so many times:

I'm also going to post a few photos that someone has so kindly taken of me while directing/playing with the Orchestra Philharmonique de Provence:







And just some other fun photos from the great times we've been having:
My french friend, Luana and I- remembering our middleschool dance days when you weren't allowed to be too close to the other person!!

Doing what my roomate so lovingly refers to as "whip-its" haha--- yep, we ate pure whipped cream... hahah... me and lindsay!

And just a fun friend shot :) Savannah- Elyse- Me

With love,
dani

1 comment:

  1. I can just imagine the scenes you describe very well and how they move your soul. I am happy you are enjoying it so well and will have great memories of Aix. Great photos, as always. Can't wait to hug you!

    ReplyDelete